[Kde-java] Re: GCJ (Re: Build system for KDE4)

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Jun 16 12:48:40 CEST 2005

On Thursday 16 June 2005 11:16, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> Thomas Zander said:
> > Remembering a conversation on kdecore-devel about namespaces; the
> > consensus was that kdelibs was not going to be adding namespaces,
> > meaning most classes will be namespace-less.
> > I'm inclined to use the directories they are in; so we have a
> > kde.kparts and a kde.kdeui kde.kdecore
> > where the last may be renamed to
> > kde.ui and kde.core
>
> That's only true for the 'old' parts of kdelibs like kdeui and kdecore.
> KParts is already namespaced, KIO was 50/50 and will become fully
> namespaced in KDE 4. I'm not sure for new code whether it HAS to be
> namespaced or if there's just a strong preference for namespaces.
> Either way, assuming kdelibs to be non-namespaced is wrong.

Well; I was making a point that the kdelibs was not designed around
namespaces very well. Badly designed and half finished is possibly worse
then not being namespaced IMO.

Next to that; Java packages and C++ namespaces are used in different
manners which lead C++ people to create huge namespaces and shallow
trees, exactly the opposite of Java people.
I'm still inclined to do the packages like I proposed before; based on
which dir they are in currently.  With classes that may be moved
specified using regexps in a config file.

Continuing th use the "If it starts with a Q" seems wrong to me; we need a
build-script to call the converter and move the intelligence of which
package we are in to that build script. So the creator of Java classes
would be called multiple times, with different arguments.  Any other
place to place that logic would seem out of scope IMO.

--
Thomas Zander