[Kde-java] Java KDE bindings and GCJ/CNI

Hannes Wallnoefer hannesw at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 01:43:10 CEST 2005

I've looked at the KDE Java bindings a few times over the last years,
and I always felt like this combination has some huge potential.
However, I think that memory usage is currently so bad that it makes
it all virtually unusable for real world desktop apps (something like
30 megs for a hello world app). If I remember correcltly the excessive
JNI code is one of the main culprits, and a look at the code seems to
rather confirm this view.

My question is: How much better could this be if KDE-Java used GCJ
with CNI based bindings? Has anybody done any work in that direction,
so that we could say how the code would look and how much work that
switch would be?

Hannes