[Kde-java] Questions about KCommandHistory

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 11 13:07:36 CEST 2004

On Friday 10 September 2004 01:13, Maik Schulz wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> > Sorry about this, but I never got time to do anything with the java
> > bindings for the 3.3 release. I'll try and at least get this fixed for
> > the KDE 3.3.1 increment.
>
> I'm really looking forward to your changes... if you don't happen to find
> some time for doing this prior to the 3.3.1 release, could you still
> provide patches?
Yes, I'll try to do that. I'm sorry about the delay, I was about to post
another message apologising about not having done anything yet. I'll also try
and reply to the other questions/bugs about dcop or events passed across
threads that people have raised too.

I think it's impossible to autogenerate callbacks for pure virtual methods
with the current runtime, because it relies on every single virtual method
having a callback. So I think the best plan for the short term is to not
bother with them, but add a few more callbacks for non-pure virtual method
callbacks. Then fix up any important classes with pure methods such as
KCommandHistory as special cases in the code generation.

For KDE 3.4 I hope there will be time to switch to the Smoke library which has
all the possible callbacks. Then keep much the same api other than emitting
signals being more typesafe, and the kde classes broken down into sub
packages.

-- Richard