[Kde-java] Re: polish( )

David Goodenough david.goodenough at btconnect.com
Wed Oct 13 12:00:39 CEST 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 19:56, Richard Dale wrote:
> On Monday 11 October 2004 16:43, David Goodenough wrote:
> > Richard,
> >
> > What is the current state of the fix for polish( ), and have you managed
> > to fix the problems you were having with the TextEdit app?  If so which
> > branch is this checked into on CVS?
>
> The branch is KDE_3_3_BRANCH. I just haven't been able to build the thing
> because of automake/autoconf problems I just don't understand. In
> particular these lines in kdebindings/kdejava/koala/kdejava/Makefile.am:
>
> libkdejava_la_LDFLAGS = $(all_libraries) -no-undefined -version-info
> $(SOMAJOR):$(SOMINOR):$(SOSUBMINOR)
>
> libkdejava_la_LIBADD =
> $(top_builddir)/qtjava/javalib/qtjava/libqtjavasupport.la -lkmdi
> $(LIB_KHTML) $(LIB_KSPELL) $(LIB_KIO)
>
> Why doesn't it include all the KDE libraries - is this right? Although the
> Makefile.am in the HEAD branch is just the same as in the KDE_3_3_BRANCH,
> one works for me and the other doesn't. I didn't add these lines, someone
> else did who probably understands what's going on better than me.
> Originally, it was a KDevelop project, and I just added the libs the
> project needed, but now this 'utter voodoo' has taken over, and I really
> don't understand it. I can't find any documentation on this sort of stuff,
> and am generally pissed off with trying to get it to work.
>
> I get the feeling I probably screwed up the polish() fix, but because I
> can't even build the kdejava side, I can't fix it. At least if someone else
> could build and try it out that would confirm whether there was a problem
> or not.
>
> > If not, is there anything I can do to help?
>
> Yes, please try building the KDE_3_3_BRANCH and see if you have the same
> problem. I hope you don't mind me cc'ing this to the kde-java list.. The
> project really needs someone other than myself to be able to sort out
> problems like this.
>
> -- Richard
OK, I downloaded and compiled the qt/kdejava bits of kdebindings _BRANCH
and it seems to compile and link cleanly on my machine.  I smell tool version
problems.

The sequence I used to download and compile was:-

#!/bin/bash
set -x

export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous at anoncvs.kde.org:/home/kde
cvs login
cvs co -l -r KDE_3_3_BRANCH kdebindings
cvs co -r KDE_3_3_BRANCH kdebindings/qtjava
cvs co -r KDE_3_3_BRANCH kdebindings/kdejava
cvs co -r KDE_3_3_BRANCH kde-common
cvs co -r KDE_3_3_BRANCH kdebindings/dcopc
cd kdebindings
ln -s ../kde-common/admin ./admin
make -f Makefile.cvs
./configure
make

I am running Debian Sid, last updated about a week ago.

I did notice a few warnings wizzing past on the console, and there
may have been a few I missed when doing other things.  I will repeat the
excercise redirecting output and see if I can track those down, but they
were only warnings (otherwise the make would have stopped).  But I
never quite trust compilers to be entirely honest about the level of
errors, so I will look to see if I can produce patches to get rid of them
too.

Regards

David