[Kde-java] Signal 4 crashes

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 29 12:30:00 CEST 2004

On Saturday 27 March 2004 14:23, Paul Sprakes wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 Mar 2004 16:45, Richard Dale wrote:

> > > Thanks for the offer, but I believe it was because I was using java
> > > threads which updated the ui. If I don't use threads it doesn't crash
> > > (but the ui locks up :-( ) I'm looking into kio now.
> >
> > Ah ok - I wondered what it was - even in C++ only apps the Qt lib isn't
> > thread safe for the GUI part.
> >
> > I'll be interested in how you get on with kio, as I'm not sure anyone's
> > tried to anything yet in java.
>
> So far it seems KIO is a no go. I can't get access to the UDSEntrlyList
> stuff as it doesn't seem to have the bindings. Do you know if these will
> become available with the smoke bindings?
The UDSEntry struct is in the Smoke runtime, I not sure about lists of them.
It might need a custom marshaller to do that, I'll have a look. I left
UDSEntry out of the current koala java api because they seemed too low level
- perhaps that was wrong.

> The good news is that the java bindings have helped me pick up kde c++
> programming pretty quickly. I now have a native c++ version of my app
> working with KIO.
Well, that's an interesting use for them. I tend to use the kde javadoc
documentation to read about the kde api, because I think it looks/reads
better than the C++ original.

-- Richard