[Kde-java] standardized java-kde app packaging

Adrian Petru Dimulescu adrian.dimulescu at free.fr
Mon Mar 8 15:07:06 CET 2004

Hello,

as I already said, I'm experimenting with a Java-kde application (a
development of George Russell's gilt).

I wonder what to do as far as packaging is concerned: normally, a
non-basic KDE application, comes with a ./configure, requires kdelibs
and parhaps kdebase; what should require a kde-java app? I guess all
that and kdebindings for java. But as the libraries are in jar form and
not already natively compiled, should my application package do the
compiling of koala.jar and qtjava.jar ?

Or should I simply wait for a kde-java version which compiles itself by
default ?

Is there an example automake/conf I could follow? I haven't been able to
get the sample Java skeleton app in KDevelop to compile, so I 'm pretty
confused at this point.

All that because I think that doing a KDE Java application which
requires the JVM is simply not something users would accept. I wouldn't
take the pain myself of installing a  JVM and run an unintegrated,
KDE-unaware Java application -- if I had the choice, of course. So I
think JavaKDE could only work in the natively compiled  form.

Thanks for your opinions,
Adrian.