[Kde-java] KIO Slave in Java

Daniel Hanlon daniel.hanlon at man.ac.uk
Fri Feb 27 19:17:18 CET 2004

Hi Richard,

Thanks for replying so quickly!

On Friday 27 February 2004 18:00, Richard Dale wrote:
>   case Get:
>     myJob = KIO.get( src, true );
>      connect(myJob, SIGNAL("data( Job, byte[])"),
>             SLOT("slotData( Job, byte[])"));
>    break;
>
>   case Put:
>     putBuffer = 0;
>     myJob = KIO.put( src, -1, true, false);
>     connect(myJob, SIGNAL("dataReq( Job, ByteArrayOutputStream)"),
>             SLOT("slotDataReq( Job, ByteArrayOutputStream)"));
>     break;
>
> So I'm not sure if you have to useJNI - I would have thought if you are
> wanting to go java <-> java and so it should be possible to avoid it.

The problem is that KIO.get leads to an analysis of the "protocol" and then it
launches something that implements/extends SlaveBase via kdeinit. KIO's quite
clever and you don't have to implement all the methods of SlaveBase for KIO
to realise that for example a "move" can still be performed with "copy" and
"delete". I think I need to read up more on exactly how the protocol
implementation is launched - C++ isn't exactly my forte so I was just being
lazy and trying to avoid it! :-)

Cheers,

Daniel.