[Kde-bindings] Re: [Kde-java] Should we ditch support for Sun's JDK in favour of Free Software?

Werner Punz werpu at gmx.at
Fri Apr 16 15:26:27 CEST 2004

Richard Dale wrote:

>On Friday 16 April 2004 07:45, Dominique Devriese wrote:
>

>>Adrian Petru Dimulescu writes:

>>>I am not very sure it would still be possible to use Eclipse in
>>>order to develop KDEJava apps. That may render KDEJava less
>>>attractive to some people (me included :)
>>>

>>Agreed.
>>

>I thought everyone who used Eclipse was mad on SWT - they never talk about
>QtJava or KDE Koala java, so I didn't think there was any interest out there.
>But I don't really think like the people who post on JavaLobby, I'm not a
>java advocate, it's just a programming language to me. So it's difficult for
>me to tell who they see non-Swing, non-SWT development GUI development.

No in fact I prefer Swing for my own guis and just love eclipse because
it is a really good tool. SWT has lots of shortcomings itself (for
instance performing lousier than Swing on Linux given the latest JDKs,
looking uglier etc...)

Eclipse simply is the best IDE you can get for free currently.
KDevelop although being nice still is miles away unfortunately.