[Kde-java] Should we ditch support for Sun's JDK in favour of Free Software?

Werner Punz werpu at gmx.at
Fri Apr 16 14:22:32 CEST 2004

Richard Dale wrote:

>On Friday 16 April 2004 08:02, Dominique Devriese wrote:
>

>>Anyway, it's of course up to you and the other kdejava developers to
>>decide on this.  In the end, I don't think it matters much, people
>>wanting to use the java bindings will not have too much trouble using
>>gcj/gij, unless they really want to use the latest JDK features, I
>>guess.
>>

>Well I develop on Linux PowerPC which is stuck on jdk 1.3.1, and probably a
>dead port. There's no such thing as latest features for me, and I couldn't
>use any 1.4 specific ones, let alone 1.5.

Richard, have you checked out the Blackdown VM lately
I am not sure if they have PPC binaries for Linux but
the sourced probably are compilable.

>Sun are behaving strangly at the moment, and as they flail around trying to
>make money out of java, and they could even start charging for the jdk if you
>develop commercial apps with it. They're writing a closed source 3D desktop
>instead of gnome, a swing app called Glow as a Evolution replacement, while
>other sun employees are working on gnome itself. I think I've been reading
>too many gnome blogs..

Probably, Sun always has behaved strangely, but bear in mind and most
Gnome blogs simply never name that. Sun does not have full control over
java anymore, a consortium, the JCP has it.
And even normal people can participate. Btw. the Sun Java sources are
reachable for everyone you just have to wade throug a lot of legal mumbo
jumbo to get your hands on them.