[Kde-java] Should we ditch support for Sun's JDK in favour of Free Software?

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 16 10:36:59 CEST 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 09:18, E.L. Willighagen wrote:

> On Friday 16 April 2004 09:34, Richard Dale wrote:
> > On Friday 16 April 2004 08:02, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> > > Anyway, it's of course up to you and the other kdejava developers to
> > > decide on this.  In the end, I don't think it matters much, people
> > > wanting to use the java bindings will not have too much trouble using
> > > gcj/gij, unless they really want to use the latest JDK features, I
> > > guess.
> >
> > Well I develop on Linux PowerPC which is stuck on jdk 1.3.1, and probably
> > a dead port. There's no such thing as latest features for me, and I
> > couldn't use any 1.4 specific ones, let alone 1.5.
>
> I've been reading this thread with interest because I hope to get starting
> writing KDE programs too once the kde-java Debian packages are done...
> someone said a few weeks last week or so...
Great! I certainly don't want to put anyone off

> Anyway, I'm a bit confused. Would support of gcj/gij mean that I would no
> longer be able to use Sun JVM at all, or just not all of it?
The current kde-java bindings will always work with both gcj and Sun's jvm,
and as they are autogenerated there is absolutely no problem with continuing
to support those. They use JNI, with one JNI function corresponding to one
java method. There are about 22500 JNI methods altogether:

find qtjava -name "*.cpp" -exec grep JNIEXPORT {} \; | wc -l
  10285

find kdejava -name "*.cpp" -exec grep JNIEXPORT {} \; | wc -l
  12353

I'm only really talking about the next version for KDE 3.3 based on dynamic
proxies. I think it just means I'll do a CNI version first, and then do a
JNI/jdk oriented one if I've got time. There will only be about 20 CNI or JNI
methods, so it will be easier to do both CNI/JNI.

-- Richard