[Kde-java] QtJava rewritten as a SMOKE adaptor?

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 10 22:15:22 CEST 2003

On Friday 08 August 2003 12:26, Richard Dale wrote:
> > The Java / KDE bindings suffer from some dynamic casts problems. Does
> > this SMOKE approach solve that problem too?
>
> Yes, it does casts correctly, no matter what the inheritance heirarchy is.
> All that kind of thing is really well engineered.
Sorry, I've answered the wrong question. SMOKE has better static casting with
complicated multiple inheritance hierarchies.

The dynamic casts problem is caused be the jkd being built with different
versions of gcc from kde, that use different versions of the same C++ lib, so
it isn't anything to do with QtJava. The problem exists because the jdk isn't
distributed as source, and you can't just build it with your current
compiler. I think it's best is to use gcj, and avoid any Sun stuff for KDE
apps until that changes. SuSE and Sun have recently come to an agreement
about java, so maybe it will improve.

-- Richard