[Kde-java] QtJava rewritten as a SMOKE adaptor?

Gert-Jan van der Heiden g.j.vanderheiden at genimen.com
Fri Aug 8 13:05:52 CEST 2003

I've read about smoke a while ago:
http://dot.kde.org/1032279318/
http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/smoke/index.html
PerlQt is using it, it would be nice if more bindings would use the same
library. If more bindings use the same library, you can guess the benefits.

GCJ seems to implements the java.lang.reflect.Proxy class
(http://gcc.gnu.org/java/jdk14-libgcj.html#pkg_java_lang_reflect). So
compiling with GCJ shouldn't be a problem with the new SMOKE approach.

The Java / KDE bindings suffer from some dynamic casts problems. Does this
SMOKE approach solve that problem too?

It sounds really good, a structural solution for all virtual methods and slot
/signals. A true added value to the current Java/ KDE bindings.

My only comment for now is that SMOKE isn't updated lately in CVS (6 months or
so).

GJ