[Kde-java] KProgressTest program

Richard Dale kde-java@kde.org
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 02:44:41 +0000

On Thursday 28 February 2002 12:44 am, KJ P wrote:
> Here is a new one for the tests.
Thanks, I've checked that one in.

> You guys have been doing a lot on the Qt.  All sorts of new examples and
> additions.
Yes, the Qt examples are a good test for the bindings - I've fixed quite a lot
of bugs.

> I have also been playing around with the KProcess.
>
> All works fine so far except.
>
>    - to load args it uses operators
>         KProcess p1;
>         p1 << "konsole" << "-e" << "args..";
>
>      to load the arguments for the executable.
>
>      I tried adding a method for the args but could not get it to work at
> all.
>      The arguments list is marked as private so I can reference it.  I
> tried using the << operator but that did not work at all.  Any ideas?
>
>    Also, the setExecutable method in the kprocess.cpp is marked as
> depracated.  Since I have not been using KDE all that long how long do the
> deprecated methods usually last?
>
>    - The slots are not being fired.  I keep getting a recursive error 2
> crash on beta2 and in 2.2.2 version of the bindings it was telling me
> StringIndexOutOfBounds error.
I spent a whole day trying to get KProcess to work properly once. The '<<'
operators are pretty confusing and difficult to use - reinventing string
concatenation really - can't see the point. Perhaps the best thing is to
remove KProcess from the bindings, as there doesn't seem to be anything
particularly KDE-specific about starting a process. Is there a Java
System.exec() or similar that could be used instead?

-- Richard