[Kde-java] General questions

Richard Dale kde-java@kde.org
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 00:35:58 +0000

On Thursday 14 February 2002 9:58 pm, Pablo Lachmann wrote:
> I subscribed to this list a few days ago and I like to say that I think
> Java for KDE/Qt is very attracting to people like me, who just started
> to learn some programming, so you soon may wish you never started it ;o).
No, not at all - I'd love to lower the barrier to entry for Qt/KDE
programming, so you wouldn't have to be a C++ wizard anymore, and can use
java to write apps. So bug reports/feedback/programmng questions etc are most
welcome from as many people as possible. I certainly hope QtJava/KDE 'Koala'
java programming becomes popular!

> Well, when trying out some stuff with qt2 and kdebindings-2.2.2 I ran
> into some questions. First of all, which versions of what to get from
> where?
>
> Normally I'm running KDE 2.2.2. Now I compiled kdelibs-3.0beta2 (well
> actually I'm doing that now), downloaded kdebindings-3.0beta2 (when I
> tried to get it via cvs there was no configure skript in the directory),
> got Qt 3.01 (precompiled slackware package from anywhere) and the IBM
> JDK 1.3 (Sun's JDK keeps on crashing on my Slackware 8.0).
You need to type 'make -f Makefile.cvs' with the cvs version to get a
configure script. But the Sun JDK 1.3 should be fine - don't know why it
crashes.

> Is that the right way to go? Do I need to install more from KDE3? I'd
> like to update kdebindings quite often, so am I missing something that
> my cvs update didn't work (tried it 2 times)?
It should just need kdelibs installed, and Qt 3.0.1.

-- Richard