[Kde-java] Packaging an application

Werner Punz kde-java@kde.org
01 Apr 2002 17:51:28 +0200

--=-Xfg8O383qrAtmVCQN4nk

Am Mon, 2002-04-01 um 17.43 schrieb Richard Dale:
> On Sunday 31 March 2002 8:57 pm, George Russell wrote:
> > How do I conviently package up a KDEJava application for end users?
> > Any ideas?
> kdoc is a perl application rather than C++, but it uses 'configure.in' an=
d=20
> 'Makefile.in' to build and install, I adapted the same configure files to=
=20
> install kalyptus bindings utility. The gilt install could put a shell scr=
ipt=20
> with 'java <app path>/KSimpleBrowser' in the kde bin directory, which wou=
ld=20
> start the app in the apps/share directory.
>=20
> eg /opt/kde3/bin/gilt.sh sets up a classpath including=20
> /opt/kde3/apps/share/gilt/gilt.jar and calls 'java KSimpleBrowser'
>=20
> I don't know how it works - a lot of the automake/autoconf stuff seems 'b=
lack=20
> magic' to me. But I've attached the kalyptus Makefile.in and configure.in=
 - I=20
> think we need a standard install script like that for java apps, so that=20
> people can just './configure ; make ; make install' as usual.
>=20
> > Does anyone want to test my Etext reader?
> > http://dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org/~grrussel
> Looks pretty neat! I'm still rebuilding my system after a gcc/gcj 3.1 tes=
t,=20
> I'll try it out as soon as I can..
>=20
> I like the line 'All below this line is obsolete' refering to the previou=
s=20
> Swing version. How do you think the code compares?
>=20
> -- Richard
>=20

Mhh Richard, have you looked at jakarta ant, this would be a great tool
to do such stuff as make, packaging etc...

Also there are several java based graphical installers which could be
used (like JEdit uses) this simplifies installing for end users
tremendously. I think the installer route could be the way to go in the
long term. At least this is java, once the user has a JDK1.2+ up and
running the rest could be handled by the installer.
A simple jar distribution without a make would also be a good way. Jar +
a readme on how to start it java -jar filename.jar would be an ok way to
distribute binaries, as well as webstart could be thought as well.=20

--=-Xfg8O383qrAtmVCQN4nk

--=-Xfg8O383qrAtmVCQN4nk--