[KDE-India] Qt applications for a workshop

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Mon Oct 13 15:20:36 UTC 2014

Hey Saurabh

Qt is a complex beast to tackle in a workshop these days mostly because it
is diverging quite a bit. There is the QML part and then the C++ part. Both
are quite important, but each requires a very different mindset. You'll
need to choose which one you want to target. QML is obviously simpler and
you get visual feedback quite soon, so it can be more interesting.

When I've taught Qt a few times, I went for making a simple twitter client.
This typically involved both C++ and some QML code. It also involved
hooking up to OAuth which provided a nice framework for teaching them about
3rd party libraries and how to use them.

Also, have a look at the KDAB training videos. They are quite long and
slow, but they are still quite useful. Finally, you could also try to have
a look at Qt on Android. It might be more useful, but then you just have 2
hours.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes.

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM, Saurabh Sood <saurabhsood91 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I am going to take a workshop on Qt for a conference . The duration
> for the conference is only 2 hours. Could you suggest some
> applications that I could cover in the time frame? The target audience
> consists of mostly university students who would be having some
> experience in programming with C++.
>
> I was thinking on the lines of small widget applications demonstrating
> signals and slots and basic examples on extending QWidget to create
> interfaces, over full blown applications.
>
> Thanks :)
>
> --
> Regards,.
> Saurabh Sood