[KDE-India] A newbie

Shantanu Tushar Jha shantanu at kde.org
Mon Feb 24 07:28:31 UTC 2014

Hi Deep,

Thanks for your email, nice to hear from you! Also good to know that you
found Qt/KDE interesting enough that you want to contribute. In fact, if
you talk around, we have lots of people in KDE who aren't necessarily from
CS backgrounds, it really doesn't matter :) Also, usually starting with
bugfixes is a great idea, you should use few applications and see if you
can fix bugs in them.

Around the suggestions you had, we've had that idea and have tried it but
the sheer lack of infrastructure (good Internet, for example) makes it very
difficult. Add the huge number of attendees and it becomes even harder to
manage (if you remember how difficult it was to just do Qt basics workshop
on Friday). So, we continuously strive to do such workshops, maybe we will
have one day :) Still, the things you mentioned are something a
self-motivated person (like you) will figure out pretty easily. Also, I
personally took few weeks to put my first patch, but during those few weeks
I learned what I would've never if somebody just told me the steps. So I
think its pretty important for this to come by self-motivation rather than
a formal instructor.

As always, feel free to ask questions when you get stuck :)

Cheers,