[KDE-India] A newbie

R.Harish Navnit harishnavnit at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 12:16:21 UTC 2014

Hi Devanshu ,

                     I too am a newbie like you, interested in contributing
to the plasma-mediacenter project. I would just like to share my little
experiences with you.

I would recomend that you use Kubuntu 13.10 for development(building etc),
though I won't say it's a must. I was able to build the same in Ubuntu
12.04 LTS.

But building in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS was insanely tedious for me, if you look
into the mailing list archives(plasma-devel) , you can find couple of
lengthy threads started by me stating my problems during the build an
Sinny,Shantanu,Sujith and others trying to help me with it. By the end of
all this, Shantanu had come to the conclusion that I had special powers
that could attract errors towards me ;)

You will probably face multiple errors, and if you are a beginner, this can
be intimidating. Hence it would be great if you could start working with
Kubuntu 13.10, building in which, is quite literally a piece of cake :)

Finally, since you are a student of DA-IICT, I'm assuming that you have
been attending the events in the conf.kde.in. How has your experience been
? I too was very intent on trying to make it there, but there were many
factors that made me decide against it. So, please do share your experience
if you can.

Have a nice time working with PMC :)

Warm Regards.

Thanking You,