[KDE-India] GSOC: Tab grouping in Rekonq

Tirtha Chatterjee tirtha.p.chatterjee at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 16:57:08 CEST 2011

Hey folks. I am Tirtha working as part of GSoC for KDE. I am working
to implement a modern tabbed browsing experience in Rekonq, allowing
users to group tabs. It is partly inspired from Firefox 4's panorama
view. On completion, the thing would look something like this
http://thebengaliheart.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/tab_grouping_plan.png?w=600&h=450

The concept is to have two kinds of sessions - active sessions and
inactive sessions. Both of these kinds of sessions appear in the
panorama view (yes that is what i'm calling it for now). The panorama
is activated by some shortcut or some action in the menu. Only,
inactive ones will be greyed out.

* Inactive sessions do not allow for dragging or dropping of tabs
from/into them. One can only do one thing with it, "activate" it.
* Active sessions correspond to open windows in rekonq. Tabs can be
drag-dropped within them. One can deactivate a session either by
closing its corresponding window, or by click on deactivate button
(the red button in the picture) from the panorama. Also, the last
window to be closed remains active by default next time you open it.
* Sessions can be trashed and duplicated.

The panorama will be using QtGraphicsView. I've already finished work
on the backend... now working on the UI.
Best of luck to all other participants in SoK and GSoC.

--
Tirtha Chatterjee
KDE contributor