[KDE-India] [OT] [For those going to DS] Food in Berlin

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 18:10:55 CEST 2011

Hi

While Berlin has McDonalds serving veggie burgers at little more than
a Euro, and should have a lot of affordable restaurants, you might
want to eat Indian food on-and-off and also save some EUR by avoiding
frequently eating out. Also, if you're vegetarian, Berlin is a very
veggie friendly place, but it might still be hard to find veggie stuff
around.

This is almost "standard protocol" for Indians going to Akademy, but
just in case you don't know, there's a Norwegian owned Indian food
company called MTR (originally started in Bangalore):
http://www.mtrfoods.com/

MTR makes ready-to-eat Indian foods and also a lot of instant mixes.

My pro-tip living off MTR is that their Kharabath (that's a South
Indian dish) is rather authentic. The Masala Rice is good too. I
didn't like their Rajma Chawal or Rasam or Sambar.

Also, their Upma (a South Indian breakfast) mix is awesome. It took me
< 5 minutes to prepare awesome breakfast today. All you need is a
saucepan and water (and preferably some oil).

It should be easy to get rice anywhere in the world. One can certainly
cook rice, albeit somewhat poorly, by boiling it. Theplas are a good
idea too, provided you ensure they last long. The ones I took last
Akademy broke down within days.

And for those of you who eat sausages, Berlin is supposed to be famous
for "Currywurst" -- Sausages with curry or something like that. Ask a
true Berlin-er (not a jelly donut) for more information.

Regards
Akarsh