[KDE-India] Re: Airtel mobile broadband settings?

Wed Oct 6 19:29:19 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 06 Oct 2010 10:25:58 pm Shantanu Tushar Jha wrote:
> Shantanu Tushar    (UTC +0530)
> http://www.shantanutushar.com

>  Have any of you set up a mobile broadband connection to airtel with Nokia phone?
>
>  I have the Nokia 5233 and have the "mobile office" setup. I am currently running on kubuntu 10.10 (Maverick). Im not really able to get the connection to work with my PC. The phone appears to be detected (but dmesg shows the error "cdc_phonet: probe of 1-5:1.10 failed with error -22")
>
>  I have setup the number as *99***1#, APN as airtelgprs.com. When i attempt connecting, it (NetworkManager plasma widget) momentarily flashes with "preparing to connect" and goes back to disconnected.
>

> 1. Though the number you've given is also correct, still try *99#
> 2. If it still doesn't work, try using KPPP with proper settings (modem will be /dev/ttyACM0) and see if it connects.
>
>  Let me know the results :)
Ok i've got this working now but it's funny... Here are the things i did

First, i tried changing the number as you and Dinesh suggested. No luck...

Then i just tried deleting the connection and creating again a GSM connection with the same settings. I repeated this many a time and could not even reproduce the "preparing to connect" that i was getting earlier.

Then i again tried creating a connection but this time i did not have the phone connected. Once done, i connected the phone and voila! It connected immediately!

I have no idea why it worked just by creating a connection with the phone disconnected! Anyway, I should explore this further... but now that i have it working im not really up for experimenting for the next 2-3 days as im travelling. :)

Thanks guys.
--
Cheers!
Kishore