[KDE-India] Fwd: plans for kde app

Rajesh Sola rsola at lisor.org
Thu Nov 5 17:42:53 CET 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	plans for kde app
Date: 	Wed, 04 Nov 2009 22:54:09 +0530
From: 	Rajesh Sola <rsola at lisor.org>
To: 	kde-india at kde.org

Hi all,
           I would like to share my abstract which is selected for
foss.in as a tech talk(Hacker Session),i am planning to bring this as
kde app, please add your valuable suggestions and comments.

Title :- Go Green - Save Power

Abstract :-
             PowerTop is a software which measures power consumption by
different components of a intel/amd processor based machine.On profiling
power usage deatils suggestions are made to minimize power
usage.Especially it is used to identify unnecessary wakeups preventing
CPU to be in idle state which causes more power consumption.Tips are
generated based on this to optimize power in a better way .This is very
much helpful for laptops to run on battery for more time.Also it plays
major role in green computing as more the power consumes, more the
global warming.
             The original powertop tool from lesswatts.org comes with
ncurses interface which is less user friendly.So the main focus of this
session is to explain the efforts of bringing a better UI for this using
qt libs which is under development by the project qpowertop.Also the
scope(with current status) of developing this as kde application and/or
as a plasmoid will be discussed.The issues traced out and enhancements
planned for this project will be listed out, so that interested people
can start contributing to this.

Prerequisites:-
             C++, Qt Programming, KDE Desktop

Links:-