[KDE-India] Contributing to KDE-DOCS (long email)

Biju Mathew bijumathew77 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 08:56:31 CEST 2008

Hi Roshan,
I definitely appreciate the help posted above. As a person thinking to
contributing to the documentation process of KDE I found this greatly
helpful. But now I have several other questions. Hopefully someone could
clear these for me as well.

1. When you choose to download and edit a certain docbook do you need to
log it somewhere? I'm curious cause wouldn't several people make the
same edits on the same document and email multiple copies of the same
document to one of the above folks mentioned above. Also do you send in
the documents after you have completed all changes or are partial
updates are allowed? Do you need to contact the author of a certain
document before you make changes ?

2. Before I even try to start documenting, which version of KDE would be
recommended. I ask cause I have KDE 4.0. Should I be installing KDE
4.1?

3. Are there specific KDE features which pertain to certain distros
only? The reason I ask is cause I installed KDE on my Ubuntu desktop and
I'm just confirming that it would be fine to use the same for the above
mentioned purpose.

4. There's a document freeze going on. In this situation what am I
supposed to do. Could someone explain what someone new to this would do
in the meantime. At the moment I'm reading the docbook guide. Although I
do find it a bit intimidating I think I can manage.

5. I checked the docbook referred to in the example. Here is the URL
http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/sanitizer/reports/kde-4.x/kdepim/korganizer/index.html
In the above example the errors refer to "Prefer 'navigation panel' over
'sidebar'." Does this mean I just have to replace sidebar with
navigation panel and nothing else at all?

6. Is there a certain time period I should practice trying this out and
becoming more thorough with it than trying to learn with the flow?

Well that's all I can think of at the moment. Its my first email to this
mailing list so if I have broken any rules than please do let me
know :).

Cheers
Biju Mathew