[KDE-India] Nokia to aquire Trolltech

Manish Chakravarty manishchaks at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 16:40:26 CET 2008

Please have a look at this:
http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/kdefreeqtfoundation.php

QUOTE:
To fulfil the purpose of the Foundation, an
agreement<http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/kdefreeqtfoundation.php#agreement>between
Trolltech and the Foundation was made. This gives the Foundation the
right to release Qt under a BSD-style license in case Trolltech doesn't
continue the development of the Qt Free Edition for any reason including,
but not limited to, a buy-out of Trolltech, a merger or bankruptcy.
UNQUOTE

AFAIK, if Qt is not released for a year by TT or it's parent company (
Nokia) the last GPL-ed version of Qt will be released with BSD licensing.

This is a very long shot though. Qt/TT arent going  away anytime soon IMHO!

On Jan 28, 2008 8:51 PM, Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2008 7:25 PM, Prateek Sharma <prateek3.14 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > It would be a great opportunity for an Indian company to take over
> > > TT's role if KDE releases Qt under BSD license.
> >
> > Which company do you have in mind??
>
> I wonder if any Indian company has released software under BSD
> license! Relicense is more difficult. Copyright matters :)
>
> --
>  Cheers,
>  Kartik Mistry | 0xD1028C8D | IRC: kart_
>  blog.ftbfs.in  | kartikm.wordpress.com