[KDE-India] KDE4 / OpenSolaris Presentation + Build HOWTO

Manish Chakravarty manishchaks at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 10:17:10 CET 2008

Hi All,

Yesterday I made a presentation to BOSUG ( Bangalore OpenSolaris User Group)
on KDE4 on OpenSolaris.

You can access it here: http://manishchaks.googlepages.com/KDE4.pdf

People were wowed by KDE4 on Solaris!

Solaris/OpenSolaris has not had a good desktop for years now.
They have JDS ( Java Desktop System, essentially Sun-branded GNOME).
OpenSolaris is the #2 FOSS OS today in terms of users.
And the users really need a good desktop .

Thus KDE4/Solaris

A little history:
==========

The KDE4/Solaris project started in May with an IRC meet. The team contains
6 people
* Stefan Teleman
* Adriaan de Groot
* Michael Schuster
* Lukas Obril
* Michael Lindig
* Myself

Although we have KDE4 running on OpenSolaris, it still has problems ( lacks
good integration with the OS, QT memory leaks, KControl modules dont
interface with the underlying hardware properly .. just the tip of iceberg)

KDE-based Opensolaris:
==================

Project Indiana will be the Ubuntu of the Solaris world ( OpenSolaris,
single live/install CD, GNOME)
Belenix is analogous to Kubuntu ( same source as Indiana/OpenSolaris, Single
live/install CD, KDE)

Belenix is developed here in Bangalore. That is a priority for BOSUG
(Bangalore OpenSolaris UG)

And for people who are not aware Belenix is the ONLY KDE based OpenSolaris
livecd out there.

So the OpenSolaris desktop is up for grabs. KDE4 comes into the picture here

KDE4 holds lots of promises in the OpenSolaris world.
I would request KDE4 lovers to have a look at it.
You'll be amazed to see applications of KDE4 *outside* of the linux world as
we..

Back to the document/presentation:

The document gives a 10,000 ft view of KDE/Solaris.
Contains tips to buid KDE4 on OpenSolaris. Problems, Issues , blah blah.

It might be interesting to folks who want to see KDE4 on an operating system
other than Linux.

Check it out.

Go KDE!
Manish