[KDE-India] a network config wizard for linux

Rajeev J Sebastian rajeev.sebastian at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 00:54:40 CEST 2007

Hello Vivek,

On 4/29/07, Vivek Rai <vivek.rai at gmail.com> wrote:
> > First things first: this has already been done. Check the Pardus
> > distro for a good one. I believe Suse also does this in Yast (which is
> > being ported to Debian-distros in the Yast4debian project). IIRC,
> > guidance also provides a module for this.
> >
> yast4debian  was a great idea and great project. sadly, the status
> does not look promising.. and has not had much activity in last 2 years?
>
> I have seen and tried the pardus network manager, and had interacted
> with the pardus team just before I started work on this, I have
> looked at its code too.. trust me, i had no reason to spend many
> hours on re-inventing the wheel..
>
> pardus network manager relies on (and is very tightly coupled with)
> the comar config daemon, running pardus config network manager on any
> other distribution requires u to also run comard - not always
> straightforward..

Comar is very advantageous for any desktop-oriented distro. You
could've spent your time wisely by porting Comar (which brings with it
many more interesting tools as well). Alternatively, you could've also
helped yast4debian aloing.

Of course, I am noone to tell you how best to spend your time.

My point was very simple, and has nothing to do with specific
architectures/distros/whatever: there is a great need to do software
that has no equivalent in the open source world. This I believe, is
more important than reinventing the wheel (even if, as in your case,
the "wheel spokes" are different).

Regards
Rajeev J Sebastian