[KDE-India] Question about communities and gatherings/symposiums in India

Knut Yrvin knuty at skolelinux.no
Wed May 17 11:16:44 CEST 2006

Hello

My name is Knut Yrvin from Norway. From August the 1th I'll be the
Community Manager for qt in Trolltech.

My background with free software is from Skolelinux/Debian-Edu as the
initiator of the project together with Petter Reinholdtsen. I've been
the project manager for the Skolelinux in Norway the last 5 years. The
project is now a part of Debian. We cooperate with most of the free
software projects in education. Edubuntu is one. The LinEx-project in
Extremadura and PSL Brazil are two others. We also shares experiences
with the project One Laptop per Child (The 100$ laptop).

I read about your community at dot.kde:
http://dot.kde.org/1134244310/

I contact you because I need to find out answers to two questions:

- I wonder which free software communities that exists in India. Do
  some of you know a list of the communities in your country?

- Does it exist a list of free and open source gatherings/symposiums
  in India the next 6-12 months?

There are 4500 businesses using qt professionally. It seems to be a
increasing demand of skilled developers using qt in the industry. We also
believe that more use of free and open source software generally is a good
thing. So our goal is to get to know the Indian communities better. To do
that we need contacts with the communities. So your help with the question
would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Knut Yrvin
Community Manager Trolltech (from 1th August)
Articles:
http://dot.kde.org/1077296457/
http://developer.skolelinux.no/artikler/2006-04-02-debconf6.pdf