[KDE-India] KDE 3.5.1 on Debain Sid

Aditya Godbole aag.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 10:44:23 CET 2006

Hi,
I had been using Ubuntu/Kubuntu and KDE 3.4 on my laptop. I've always
been a Debian guy, and for some reason, even Ubuntu doesn't seem to
have the right feel to it. So I decided to install Debian Sid.
Needless to say, my desktop is KDE and now I am running KDE 3.5.1 on
the 2.6.15 kernel. The first thing I notice after switching to Sid is
that it is noticably faster. Everything on Sid just seems to be
faster, cleaner and smoother. For example, emacs fires up in less than
a second, with the same config file as before. Also, after I give my
password at the KDM prompt, KDE takes around 5 seconds to load. I am
surprised by this increase in speed. A lot of this has to do with the
jump to KDE 3.5 from KDE 3.4.
One thing I do miss on Sid is something like the kubuntu-desktop
package. Sure, there is a kde package in Sid, but that ends up
installing almost everything. I still haven't figured out what to
install to get the tarball browsing functionality in konqueror the way
you get in Kubuntu. Probably some ioslave, but it's not installed by
default.
Just my 85 paise on my experience with KDE 3.5 on Sid so far.

-aditya