[KDE-India] [OT] The Microsoft-Novell agreement

Knut Yrvin knuty at skolelinux.no
Mon Dec 4 03:56:03 CET 2006

Tirsdag 28 november 2006 15:42, skrev USM Bish:
> For  long, Microsoft  has  been claiming  that  it has  patent
> rights to  some of  the technology in  Linux, although  it has
> never said exactly what those  rights might be or what patents
> are involved.

What is the Patent Law in India? I found that laws in many countries
states there is not possible get patents on software. United Kingdom
Patents Act 1977 is one of those laws:

  (2) It is hereby declared that the following (among other things)
  are not inventions for the purposes of this Act, that is to
  say, anything which consists of -

  (a) a discovery, scientific theory or mathematical method;
  (b) a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work or any
       other aesthetic creation whatsoever;
  (c) a scheme, rule or method for performing a mental act,
       playing a game or doing business, or a program for a computer;
  (d) the presentation of information;

Source:
http://www.jenkins-ip.com/patlaw/pa77.htm#s1

* Appeal court ruling sets marker on UK software patents
  (Published Friday 27th October 2006):

The three judges of the UK Court of Appeal have ruled decisively that
patents on pure computer programs may not be granted in the UK. The
ruling came in the case of Macrossan vs the UK Patent Office (UKPO).

Source:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/27/software_patents/

* Financial times (Dec 4 2006):

The US Supreme Court yesterday appeared bent on trying to reduce
America's glut of poor quality patents by writing new rules that would
make it harder to obtain and defend patents in future.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/366122fa-7f4e-11db-b193-0000779e2340.html

Best regards

Knut Yrvin