[KDE-India] kde4

Till Adam adam at kde.org
Mon Dec 19 13:52:50 CET 2005

On Monday 19 December 2005 11:35, Swaroop C H wrote:
> On 12/17/05, Sharique uddin Ahmed Farooqui <safknw at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There is many people how want know abt progress of kde4.  where should
> > look for it. Pls also make a section for non-developer people to look
> > changes/improvements/updates in kde.
>
> There are various places you could look:
>
> *     http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-4.0-features.html
> *     http://wiki.kde.org/KDE+4+Goals
> *     (just google "kde 4" for more)

The early stages of KDE4 which we are in now provide a very nice point of
entry for code contributions, btw. We are currently busy porting kdelibs and
the various areas of KDE such as kdepim which use it to Qt4. The first round
of changes could be done by porting scripts, but now we are at a stage were
the remaining changes need to be done by hand. To give you an example, many
places in kdepim use the KListView class, which was/is a thin wrapper around
Qt3's QListView. That can and should now be replaced with Qt4's QTreeWidget,
but that involves adjusting things to the new API. That's not hard to do,
even if you don't know Qt, but it's a good way to get familiar with the Qt
API and it's a great help, since we have many, many places where changes like
that need to be done, and currently only two or three people are actively
helping with porting kdepim, for example. And pim is not the only place in
KDE, there are millions of lines of code that need to be ported. So in case
you have been wanting to get started with Qt/KDE development, and you don't
mind doing a bit of gruntwork, in the beginning, then please speak up, I'll
happily provide you with the knowledge you need to get started. This is not
the most exciting work in the world, of course, but it's a very real and very
much appreciated way to help make KDE 4 a reality a lot sooner. And once
you've become familiar with an area of KDE that you have helped port, you'll
have a much easier time getting real improvements and funky features in,
since you know the code, and the people, and the people know you, and you're
part of the team.

Drop by in #kde-in on irc.kde.org (freenode), if you are interested, or
mention it here, if a group of people are interested we could do a little
getting-started session on irc with everyone sometime this week.

Till