[KDE-India] Fwd: How about adding Indian ISP information for KPP

Vivek Rai vivek.rai at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 19:20:39 CET 2005

2005/12/16, honey <f2003375 at gmail.com>:

> That's cool.It will be better if we can just note down the most commonly
> used vendor names of  modems and check the ones that doesn't have driver
> support in Linux ( This can save hours for the user)

Well, thats also a good idea! A kind of a hardware compatiblity list. But
then, dont we already have some sites for this? Are you suggesting one
specifically for hardware typically being sold in India? Do these not get
covered by sites like http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatcat3-1-1.html ?

My suggestion is with the target audience of a total newbie user to Linux.
Such a user would prefer to use a GUI tool for setting up a dialup
connection to some ISP in India. If you look at the KPPP Wizard for this,
you will find many ISP's from even small countries like Czech republic and
Slovenia, but nothing for India!

If we get kpprc 's from a working connection for various ISP/Locations, and
get that into KDE cvs, it would become part of the standard KDE release. The
user selects India from the Wizard, sees Satyam, MTNL etc and merely has to
fill in the username and password.

A new user (esp a non-techie one) need not waste time figuring out something
others have already done.