[KDE-India] kde find dialog .. design catastrophe, inherited from windows.. ?

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip at lug-delhi.org
Fri Dec 16 07:06:15 CET 2005

On Friday, 16 Dec 2005 1:47 am, Steven wrote:
> 	Lets say for example I want to search for  a file named
> "linux-questions.HTML". I know there is a "questions" in the file name, and
> in the contents there is a word "ubuntu". And it was created on 5/12/04.
> 	Now in the file dialog in question it would take me at least 3 clicks to
> enter all the data to get an exact match .. assuming that i have a lot of
> documents with the same similarities.

Would you like your favourite search engine to show their advanced search page
everytime or just the basic one which works 99% of the time?

Leaving aside this specific need, are you more likely to use a more general
option first, and then refining the search to narrow down the results?

People who want more options are more likely to spend time refining their
search, and it is better that all their needs are fulfilled by a more
detailed UI a click or two away.

Ofcourse, the irritating thing about the Windows file search is that you got
to keep uncovering each of the options. It is much better to have just two
views - one damn simple one (one text field) and the advanced one (with all
the advanced options). This is what works very well for the search engines
too.

- Sandip

Sandip Bhattacharya  *    Puroga Technologies   *     sandip at puroga.com
Work: http://www.puroga.com  *   Home/Blog: http://www.sandipb.net/blog

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3