[KDE-India] kde find dialog .. design catastrophe, inherited from windows.. ?

Steven stevenjose at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 21:17:55 CET 2005

	A year back I had read an article on form design which stated that th design
of the "find file dialog" in windows, was really messed up. And it is
actually .  But I was surprised and dissappointed when I found the same ugly
thing in kde.
	Lets say for example I want to search for  a file named
"linux-questions.HTML". I know there is a "questions" in the file name, and
in the contents there is a word "ubuntu". And it was created on 5/12/04.
	Now in the file dialog in question it would take me at least 3 clicks to
enter all the data to get an exact match .. assuming that i have a lot of
documents with the same similarities.
	When we are talking of ease of use and speed we want reduce the number of
clicks to do some work ... because each click requires you to take your hand
off the keyboard and get the mouse (you might wonder whats the big deal...
but it does induce a lot of physical fatigue in long term users.)
	I think that the dialog should be able to neatly present all the options in a
single page. So we can enter the details using the tab key. Personally I
prefer slocate, but hey average users dread the console, and we(linux) are
aiming for the desktop user.

--
Steven Joseph

ymsg: jsteve4 at yahoo.com, UT:13hrs
Beam me aboard Scotty. <> Aye, will a 2x4 do, Captain?