[KDE-India] Action Plan

Atul Chitnis mail at atulchitnis.net
Tue Dec 13 13:16:36 CET 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:

> A compilation of Educational Apps in/on KDE leading to an
> EducationWithKDE distribution might not be a bad idea at the end of the
> day. Although Kubuntu and Edubuntu have come a long way since the
> beginning days.

I think we are overreaching ourselves at this point, and I agree with
Sankarshan that such stuff already exists.

Right now, I suggest we go into "walk before run" mode, and concentrate
on getting toes wet, developing small and useful applets, getting them out
there, then, once people are comnfortable with the process, take a bite
out of what's already out there, contribute, document, test, etc.

As Karunakar has correctly pointed out, a lot of Localization has already
been happening for KDE, largely by the IndLinux project. If people can
help with that, then we are already making progress. But for those of us
who would like to see KDE become more usablem I think we should look at
projects that need help, or even (gasp!) innovate and come up with new
stuff.

I'd *love* to see a Wifi manager that works like Networkmanager in Gnome,
for example, something that "Simply Works(tm)". Or a worldtime clock that
actually tells the time in confgurable cities. Or filedialogs that work
with firefox. Or a school timetable management system. Or....

You get the idea. :)

There are a zillion unaddressed apps out there that could do with some KDE
love. And this is where KDE.in can contribute a lot.

Am I making sense?

Atul