[Kde-imaging] Photivotool new plugin uploaded in branch

Kevin Dalley kevin at kelphead.org
Mon Jul 8 21:20:25 UTC 2013

I finally uploaded the new kipi plugin photivotool. It is ready to be
reviewed and tested.

It is available in the branch photivotool.

https://code.google.com/r/nereocystiskevin-digikam/source/checkout

This plugin calls photivo with the --sidecar option, which is a new
option I wrote for photivo. This photivo change is currently available
in a mercurial branch. This code has been reviewed, and will probably
move to the official photivo repo soon.

This integrates photivo and digikam together better than previous.

Here is the README:

This is a kipi plugin which calls photivo, using digikam sidecars

This plugin calls photivo using arguments of the image file,
and a sidecar, if the sidecar exists.

Photivo requirements:
This plugin requires a version of photivo which supports the
"--sidecar" option.

Digikam settings:
The following digikam setting should be set.
Go to this setting:
Settings=>Configure digikam...
Select:
Under the setting:
       Write this Information to the Metadata:
       Select all data which should be passed to photivo. I select
       everything except Face Tags; Face Rectangles do not seem
       to be copied correctly.

Under the setting:
       Write to sidecar files
choose:
       Write to XMP sidecar for read-only image only

Under digikam:
Choose Image=>Photivo

Note:
Rating in sidecar takes precedence over pts file
The rating in the pts file will be ignored if there is a rating in the
sidecar

Workflow

Here is my workflow.

Load photos from camera into digikam

Use digikam to select preferred photos
I use PickLabel and Rating, mostly.
In the process, I may use digikam to make the decision, saving a pts
file during this process.

Image=>Metadata=>Edit all Metadata...
Modify:
EXIF Caption=>Description (this becomes Title in flickr)
      alternatively, edit IPTC Content=>Headline or XMP Content=>Headline
EXIF Caption (this becomes Description in flickr)
      alternatively, edit IPTC Content=>Caption or XMP Content=>Caption

Edit GPS data
Perhaps Use Image=>Geo-location

Run photivo by choosing Tools=>Photivo...
This will load sidecar data
Load pts file, if it exists

This plugin cannot be run from the light table, which is unfortunate.
The flickr export tool does not have an option for replacing a file in
flickr.  Flickr export will include:

Title
Caption
GPS data
tags

Use flickr web menu item "Replace this photo" will update GPS data, I
believe, but not the other 3 items.