[Kde-imaging] Lossless image compression

Christoph Feck christoph at maxiom.de
Mon Feb 6 15:10:21 UTC 2012

Hi,

you might have already read [1] of my current project "IZ" [2], aiming
for fast lossless image compression for photos.

Performance wise, IZ lies in the "sweet spot" where it actually
improves loading time (because of less disk transfers), instead of
slowing it down (because of the slow compression). It is intended to
replace code where uncompressed data or only simple run-length
encoding was used because of speed constraints.

The library currently only handles 8 bit RGB, mostly because of the
lack of a sufficiently large set of sample images which use 16 bit
and/or alpha channel. Pointers appreciated.

I plan to use IZ for a future KDE icon/thumbnail database project, but
I guess there might be several other uses in KDE, for example in
digiKam as a format to store its thumbnails, or as the swap
compression for Krita. It has even been suggested to use it in
OpenRaster format, or in the Krita native file format.

Before it can be useful, however, I need input about the API design.
The plan is to have a low-level C++ template based compression
library, allowing to code raw 8/16 bit RGB(A) pixel image data from/to
memory, where the layout of the pixels (RGB vs. BGR, ARGB vs. RGBA,
etc.) and the resulting code stream (bytes vs. machine words) can be
customized via custom templates or template arguments.

I am aware that it should allow tiling/striping (i.e. coding image
parts separately or seamlessly). Which other features are needed to be
useful? For the stream container or other meta data, I think it would
be best to have those handled by the application.

(CC'ing krita list, please reply to kde-imaging, too)