[Kde-imaging] Fwd: [Digikam-devel] Re: Git migration for 2.0.0 + code components re-structuring...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 12:27:58 CET 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek at gmail.com>
Date: 2010/12/9
Subject: [Digikam-devel] Re: Git migration for 2.0.0 + code components
re-structuring...
To: digiKam developers room - digiKam - Manage your photographs as a
professional with the power of open source <digikam-devel at kde.org>

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 10:34, Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com> wrote:

> About libkface, libkmap, it will work as kipi-plugins : it stand alone
> shared librared installed on the system.
>
> This will solve the huge puzzle for us, digiKam & co developpers. As
> we maintain this code...
>
> What do you think about ?

I agree to ship as many things as possible ourselves, or make them
otherwise independent. Because then distro packagers have problems
packaging it and users then end up with 1.2.0 in some recent distro
and they are reporting bugs against 1.2.0 and we just reply to update
to newer version and try again, but they actually can't, because thier
distro doesn't package newer version, because of the libs being part
of KDE trunk (and they don't package trunk stuff). So for the sake of
the users, I think we should ship as many things as possible
ourselves.
Marty