[Kde-imaging] Git migration for 2.0.0 + code components re-structuring...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 10:34:40 CET 2010

Hi all,

If you fell kde development mailing list thread, recently a lots of
project has started svn to git migration.

I think we can plan to do it with digiKam and kipi-plugins code 2.0.0,
and let's 1.x code to svn to be able to release bug-fixes only 1.8.0
and perhaps 1.9.0, as i plan here :

http://www.digikam.org/drupal/about/releaseplan

The disadvantage to move svn Gosc2010 branch to git is the difficulty
to synchronize with trunk code automatically. This is why after
digiKam 1.7.0, only small bug-fixes must be applied to 1.x code.

The documentation to process svn to git migration is here :

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/MovetoGit

Andi, I remember that you have been volunteer in the past to process
git migration. Right ?

Other important point, if to restructure software components to
simplify life of developers, users, packagers.

A lots of peoples ask me to remove kdegraphics/libs dependency, which
increase complexity to upgrade these shared libraries in some cases.

The reasons why we share libraries is to solve common dependencies
between kipi-plugins and digiKam (libkdcraw and libkevix2)

Libkipi is more complex stuff because it's shared with others
photo-management softwares (gwenview, kphotoalbum)

Now, with 2.0.0, the complexity will be increased again with new
libkface and libkmap.

Why not to use Git migration to re-structure digiKam and kipi-plugins
components ?

This is my proposal : make a digiKam packaging including current
digiKam + kipi-plugins + libkface + libkmap. The root dir contents of
digiKam will become something like that :

digikam/
 \--cmake/
 \--data/
 \--databaseserver/
 \--digikam/
 \--imageplugins/
 \--kioslave/
 \--libs/
 \--project/
 \--showfoto/
 \--tests/
 \--themedesigner/
 \--utilities/
 \--kipi-plugins
 \--libkmap
 \--libkface

look 3 last line of this tree...

kipi-plugins will still undependant of digiKam core and installed as
well, as now. i18n rules still also the same.

About libkface, libkmap, it will work as kipi-plugins : it stand alone
shared librared installed on the system.

This will solve the huge puzzle for us, digiKam & co developpers. As
we maintain this code...

What do you think about ?

Gilles Caulier