[Kde-imaging] New kipi plugin: export to shwup.com

Timothee Groleau kde at timotheegroleau.com
Fri Oct 23 11:33:33 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I just completed a new kipi plugin: an export tool for an online media hosting
site (shwup.com) produced by my current company (muvee).

The plugin is working so far and I wanted to share some information about
it, get your feedback, and check with you on the procedure to qualify it and
possibly include it as a part of the official plugin distribution.

Firstly, about shwup.com: shwup.com is a media sharing site where group of
people create and co-own media albums, such that everyone's medias for a given
event/trip/vacation are kept in one place. Albums are always private and only
accessible to their members. shwup.com exposes a REST based API, very similar
to that of Amazon's AWS.

The shwup kipi plugin takes code *heavily* from the facebook export plugin. In
fact a large part of it is copy paste, with minor tweaks here and there (the
biggest changes being the removal of the import code and of course a specific
shwup connector class). The facebook code itself was taken from kipi-plugins
0.6.0

The plugin introduces a dependency to QCA2 because the authentication system
of shwup.com requires support for md5, sha1. and hmac(sha1). I have modified
the kipi cmake file to search for that dependency and compile the shwup plugin
only if it is found.

The plugin itself can do more or less what the facebook plugin can do:
* let a user log in to shwup.com
* list the current available albums to upload media to
* create a new album
* downscale large images before upload
* raw files are supported via kdcraw (same as facebook plugin)

I am using the plugin for myself (I am a kPhotoalbum user), and I am willing
to be a maintainer for it. Although, I currently work for muvee, this is my
own pet project that I am doing mostly in my free time.

I'm not sure how credits and copyrights should be attributed, so in the files
that I modified from the facebook plugin, I left the original copyright
owner's name. Let me know if that's OK.

I have placed the plugin source with modified kipi 0.6.0 cmake file here. It
works in the 0.6.0 sources. Tested on gentoo system with KDE 4.3.2, with
Gwenview and Kphotoalbum:
http://timotheegroleau.com/shwup-for-kipi-plugins-0.6.0.tar.bz2

Let me know if you have any feedback, and if you think such a plugin can be
accepted.

A final disclaimer: I am a beginner at C++ and this is my first Qt/KDE-based
project. Please bear with me on the quality of the code :/ . Any feedback and
suggestions to make the project better would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Tim.