[Kde-imaging] libksane0 and gphoto2 scanner emulation

Cobus Carstens cobus.carstens at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 12:19:38 CET 2009

Hi

Libsane provides scanner emulation for certain cameras via gphoto2.
Using the xsane application, my camera is detected as a scanner and I
have no problem "scanning" new images (application instructs camera to
take image and retrieves it). I simply press the "scan" button and
everything works out of the box.

The same is not true for skanlite (and tellico 2.1) which uses the
KSaneWidget provided in libksane0. The camera is detected as a
scanner, but when I press the "scan" button, nothing happens.
If I remember correctly, when pressing "preview" the camera sometimes
took an image, sometimes downloaded an image (very slow compared to
xsane) and sometimes displayed it.

I have downloaded the code for libksane0 and will try to establish
where the problem lies.
If this is a known problem (I did not see any open bugs in your list)
or you have any pointers, please let me know.

Regards,
  Cobus

<Package info>

$ skanlite --version
Qt: 4.5.2
KDE: 4.3.2 (KDE 4.3.2)
Skanlite: 0.3

$ tellico --version
Qt: 4.5.2
KDE: 4.3.2 (KDE 4.3.2)
Tellico: 2.1

$ xsane --version
xsane-0.996 (c) 1998-2007 Oliver Rauch
  E-mail: Oliver.Rauch at xsane.org
  package xsane-0.996
  compiled with GTK-2.17.2
  with color management function
  with GIMP support, compiled with GIMP-2.6.6
  XSane output formats: jpeg, pdf(compr.), png, pnm, ps(compr.), tiff, txt

$ aptitude show libksane0
Package: libksane0
State: installed
Automatically installed: yes
Version: 4:4.3.2-0ubuntu1
 The KDE scanner library provides an API and widgets for using
scanners and other imaging devices supported by SANE.

 This package is part of the KDE 4 graphics module.
Homepage: http://www.kde.org/

$ aptitude show libgphoto2-2
Package: libgphoto2-2
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 2.4.6-1ubuntu6
 The gphoto2 library can be used by applications to access various
digital camera models, via standard protocols such as USB Mass Storage
and PTP, or vendor-specific protocols.

 This package contains the library.

 The gphoto2 command-line frontend is shipped separately, in the
gphoto2 package.
Homepage: http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/

$ aptitude show libgphoto2-port0
Package: libgphoto2-port0
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 2.4.6-1ubuntu6
 The gphoto2 library can be used by applications to access various
digital camera models, via standard protocols such as USB Mass Storage
and PTP, or vendor-specific protocols.

 This package contains the runtime code for port access.
Homepage: http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/

</Package info>