[Kde-imaging] Acquire Images vs xSANE preview time

Kåre Särs kare.sars at iki.fi
Sun Nov 29 11:04:42 CET 2009

On Saturday 28 November 2009 23:07:06 Cecil Watson wrote:
> I've just installed kipi-plugins 0.8.0 on my Arch Linux workstation.  In
> testing my scanner (Epson CX3200), I noted the time it take to acquire an
> image preview with Acquire Image vs xsane is very long.  A preview in xsane
> takes second while the same image in Acquire Image can easily take over a
> minute.
>
> Is there a setting I'm possibly missing?  Any further information I can
> provide to help resolve this?

I guess that you are using the epson2 backend. That backend has a bug in
version 1.0.20, that makes libksane (the library the plugin uses) scan the
preview with very high resolution.

I can provide a patch that I got from the epson2 maintainer, but the easiest
is probably to install the epkowa backend until a new version of sane is
released.

On Kubuntu the epkowa backend has been in the libsane-extras, but now in
Karmic it is in the iscan package.

If you are not using the epson2 backend I'm interested to hear more about your
setup.

--
Kåre Särs