[Kde-imaging] Skanlite

Kåre Särs kare.sars at kolumbus.fi
Tue Feb 17 20:58:15 CET 2009

Hi,

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 14:25:15 Petri Damstén wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made a little copying app that scans images and then either prints them
> or saves to pdf (screen shot attached). You can find current code here:
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/graphics/kopier/
Great :)

> I was wondering if skanlite is meant to be simple scanner app or could it
> have more modes, e.g.:
My vision for Skanlite is to be a simple scanner, but saving single pages to
pdf would be included in that vision. My main purpose for Skanlite has been to
scan photos.

I think I'll leave the multi-page pdfs, copy to printer, OCR to somebody who
needs that more than me. That said I am absolutely thrilled that I have gotten
this much interest in using libksane and I am more than willing to help and to
update the API according to the needs.

> - Scan image files
> - Copy to printer/pdf
> - Scan text (OCR)
> Maybe interface similar as kontact left pane or k3b bottom pane?
If Skanlite, like KMail can be integrates to Kontact, could be integrated into
something bigger and also be run separately that would be nice :)

Since I have gotten a bit similar mails from different people that could be
interested in continuing development of a "SkanHeavy" I am CC:ing you too :)

Thomas Gillespie:  playground/pim/kremail/ (OCR)
Néstor: Interest in developing OCR support.
Grzegorz Kurtyka: Network scanner support.
Arseniy Lartsev: improving Skanlite usability.

Regards
   Kåre