[Kde-imaging] Developing on KDE3/KDE4 simulateneously ?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun May 25 11:42:41 CEST 2008

Hi Vardhman

Nice to sse you again in this room (:=)))

This is how i work :

- I use Mandriva 2008.1 official.
- KDE3 is the default desktop. all devel package are installed.
- i have installed all KDE4 devel packages (4.0.3) + CMake + Qt 4.3.3.
- KDE3 is installed in /usr. KDE4 in /opt. No conflict !
- i don't use KDE4 desktop, i always use KDE3, all the time. Why ?
KDE4 desktop is unstable for the moment and freeze my computer or
crash speedly. This will be better certainly for KDE 4.1 or KDE 4.2.
In fact i use only KDE4 shared libs to run KDE4 applications in a KDE3
desktop. It's work very well. KDE4 core Libs4 are better than all the
rest of the KDE4 desktop.
- to develop, debug, hack KDE3 code, nothing special is done. I'm work as well.
- to develop, debug, hack KDE4 code, i just need to set KDE4/Qt4 env
variable to be able to run all run time dependencies, especially
KIO-Slave, and plugins to load. In Mandriva, i small script name "k4"
is used like this :

# k4 digikam => digiKam for KDE4 run.
# digikam => digiKam for KDE3 run

And _that_ all. No need to recompile whole KDE4 etc. I have no more
free time to hack the rest of the world (:=))))

I hope this feedback will help you.

Best

Gilles Caulier