[Kde-imaging] [RFC] kipi & co. release plan proposal

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Wed Mar 19 18:47:50 CET 2008

On Tuesday, 18. March 2008, Angelo Naselli wrote:
> libkipi
> 21-24/3 libkipi      0.2.0 (*kde4*) beta
>              libkipi      0.1.6 (kde3) need to verify if we can avoid breaking abi first

I would suggest release and break API with 0.1.6 only when there are
kde3 kipi-plugins available that make use of the interface to implement
new enduser functionality (runtime versus buildtime lib version does
not count as enduser functionality).

Angelo, scheduled 0.1.6 as bug fix release.  And to be honest when
I consider free time constraints: Better implement new features in
KDE4 (first) if there time left for backports ... we'll see ;)

> libkexiv2
> 21-24/3 libkexiv2  0.1.7 (kde3) need to verify if we can avoid breaking abi first

Again only break API if there's a real win for the user of the applications.
For new we have KDE4 were we can break every API we want.

> kipi-plugins
> 12-13/4 kipi-plugins 0.1.6 (kde3) beta1 (it should be only a bug fixing release)
> 19-20/4 kipi-plugins 0.1.6 (kde3) beta2 or rc1
> 19-20/4 kipi-plugins 0.2.0 (*kde4*) beta1
> 16-27/4 kipi-plugins 0.1.6 (kde3) rc1 or final (can be postponned by a week)
> 3-4/5   kipi-plugins 0.1.6 (kde3) final if not yet done

0.1.6 looks fine.

0.2.0 I'm not sure.  Will gwenview support kipi-plugins in 0.4.1 if we release
now?

If not, better wait with a release until the digikam/kphotoalbum for KDE4
        reach a releaseable state.  Until then use svn builds

If gwenview does, do we implizitly promixe not to break API compatibility
during KDE4 life cyle for libkipi?

> If needed we could release for *kde4* the betas for libkexiv2 and libkdcraw as well.
> Those betas are to be intended to unlock host applications and help them to
> include new kipi plugins generation.

'if needed' happens IMHO when the first KDE4 app that uses libkipi is ready
for release.

Achim

                                      -- reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com