[Kde-imaging] RFC: The breakage of the year, our libraries

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Sun Jan 6 10:21:07 CET 2008

domenica 06 gennaio 2008, Aurélien Gâteau ha scritto:
> Angelo Naselli wrote:
> [snip]
> > Anyway that means breaking all the binary compatibility... so i'd prefer
> > to have feedbacks before doing something.
> [snip]
>
> If you only add new methods, you don't break binary compatibility. Only
> problem is applications linking to new lib won't work with old lib.
> Applications linking to old lib will continue to work with new lib.
Thanks Aurélien, talking to Allee we've reache the conclusion I've wrongly
increased the major, will see if changing back or not though.
Anyway something has to be fixed into libkipi, and
this i the right time to do that. Main efforts will be done to trunk soon,
i believe, since kde 4.0 has branched already and kde 4.1 should be the one
will probably be by default for distros (4.0 is too young i believe), but for the next
few months kde 3.x is important yet and we must take care of that.

Angelo (who's always happy to hear from you in this room)