[Kde-imaging] releasing extragear

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Oct 10 15:29:00 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 10 October 2007, Angelo Naselli wrote:
> > make sense?
>
> Well yes if we think about a tag, no if we think that applications
> should, but i do believe will, be always tagged older than
> they are released. Sounds useless to me....

well, yes, this is not the idea =)

and of course, if you don't think it will do your application any good, you
can simply not opt-in. no problems there. i think it will be great for those
who don't want to do their own release management or those who simply want
greater exposure.

> IIRC, in extragear ml some application mantianers said
> they prefer to continue releasing by their own deadlines
> so i can't see what can give more a common tarball...

more exposure to users and packagers.

> I'm afraid distros could think to add extragear package
> as they already do with other kde big packages and start
> patching it to have applications up2date, hmm don't know
> if i fully agree with that. An example? kmail and imap filters
> it's almost impossible to have it working on a distro by now
> and we should wait for the next kde release... or a patch from
> some good distro packager....

applications can (and should) always do as many releases as they want, and
packagers will likely pick up these new versions just as they do today.
release early, release often.

i think the result of also shipping the latest-stable-tag with KDE dev
platform releases will simply be that more of the great apps in extragear
will get packaged by more packagers simply by having greater endorsement from
the KDE project itself.

it's always been clear to me, however, that some apps in extragear will not
want to participate in this. that is why we've been careful to *not* make it
mandatory in the least =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se