[Kde-imaging] libkexiv2: breaks backward compatitiliby? WAS: extragear/libs/libkexiv2

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Wed May 9 15:58:13 CEST 2007

On Wednesday, 9. May 2007, Angelo Naselli wrote:
> Alle mercoledì 9 maggio 2007, Colin Guthrie ha scritto:
> > Angelo Naselli wrote:

> > > Col could you please test this one against 0.1.2?
> > > http://www.linux.it/~anaselli/kipi-plugins/libkexiv2-0.1.5.tar.bz2
> >
> > It creates a different automatic provides:
> >
> > The older one (0.1.4) generates:
> > libkexiv2.so.0()(64bit)
> >
> > and the 0.1.5 generates a provide of:
> > libkexiv2.so.1()(64bit)
>

> > So indeed the major of the library has changed.
> hmm, not the major, but the revision.
> > I can bump the major and it should in theory co-install with the older
> > version, but I'll still get conflicts on the file:
> > /usr/lib64/libkexiv2.la
> > (is this even needed? - I've had good success with just deleting them in
> > the past, but I've also been stung with some KDE apps needing them!)
> >
> > Regardless it will mean we can rebuild the dependant apps and everything
> > will eventually work. Is this the desired effect?
> Well it should have been done after liblexiv2 0.1.1 (e.g. for 0.1.2).
> But if i understood well the rule
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Versioning
> 2:1:1 should mean revision is 2, age is 1
> so it should be back compatible with libkexiv (2-1=1) 1:X:X e.g. > libkexiv2 0.1.2
> I would have expected digikam working with the new library.
>
> I'm comfused... and a bit tired to investigate :/

Hi Angelo,

thx for libkexiv2 0.1.5  with libkexiv2.so.1.   Now digikam can still use 0.1.1
with libkexiv2.so.0.

I've tried rebuilding digikam 0.9.1 with likexiv2 0.1.5 and this also works fine.

At least in kubuntu only digikam and digikamimageplugins depend on libkexiv2
and those two are merged in 0.9.1.  PUh, that's easy ;)

Achim

                                      -- reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com