[Kde-imaging] libkexiv2: breaks backward compatitiliby? WAS: extragear/libs/libkexiv2

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed May 9 01:05:42 CEST 2007

Angelo Naselli wrote:
> Alle martedì 8 maggio 2007, Colin Guthrie ha scritto:
>> Angelo Naselli wrote:
>>> Col can you test the binary compatibility in cooker? I mean IIRC there
>>> was 0.1.2 in it now you upgraded to 0.1.4 digikam should start correctly.
>> Yeah I tested it prior to committing/submitting it and it seems to be
>> fine, so I guess you are right in that it was the 0.1.1 -> 0.1.2 that
>> broke things.  The version I updated in cooker was indeed 0.1.2.
>>
>> Didn't try to do anything complex in dk but nothing jumped out at me.
>>
>> Col
>>
> Col could you please test this one against 0.1.2?
> http://www.linux.it/~anaselli/kipi-plugins/libkexiv2-0.1.5.tar.bz2

It creates a different automatic provides:

The older one (0.1.4) generates:
libkexiv2.so.0()(64bit)

and the 0.1.5 generates a provide of:
libkexiv2.so.1()(64bit)

So indeed the major of the library has changed.

I can bump the major and it should in theory co-install with the older
version, but I'll still get conflicts on the file:
/usr/lib64/libkexiv2.la
(is this even needed? - I've had good success with just deleting them in
the past, but I've also been stung with some KDE apps needing them!)

Regardless it will mean we can rebuild the dependant apps and everything
will eventually work. Is this the desired effect?

Col