[Kde-imaging] How to install library translations as libkfoo-<ABI-major>.mo instead of libkfoo.mo

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Jun 14 15:21:23 CEST 2007

Stephan Kulow said:
> Am Donnerstag 14 Juni 2007 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
>> It's that argument to SOVERSION that has to be part of the
>> insertCatalog()
>> call and the install script for l10n-kde4.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to implement that? Manually?
> Do you also want to split kde-i18n by soname version combinations
> (kde-i18n-with-kdecore5-and-kio-7-but-khtml8)? For KDE we simply have to
> live
> with the fact that we can't have two minor releases installed in the same
> prefix and full stop.

I'm not talking about minor releases. I am talking about major releases:
KDE 3 and KDE 4.

If you install a library from KDE 3 and the same library from KDE 4, since
they have different sonames, they'll both install. However, they carry
non-versioned files, like the .mo translation catalogues. Those clash.

What I am proposing is that the library soname version (soversion) be
included in all library files that may clash with other major versions,
either in the form of a directory or in the filename itself. Things that
don't clash (like rc files) don't need to carry the version number.

If that's too hard, we can just say "you can't have KDE 3 and KDE 4 in the
same prefix, period".

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358