[Kde-imaging] KIPI API rework.

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Thu Jul 19 17:16:32 CEST 2007

Alle giovedì 19 luglio 2007, Colin Guthrie ha scritto:
> Angelo Naselli wrote:
> > Thanks Col, someone (maybe me) should have started this sooner or later :)
> > Gilles asked for it into a commit commet iirc, so it should be time to.
>
> No worries :)
>

> > What we need to decide first is, do we change api for kde 3.5 as well?
> > As soon as possible I'll release a new libkdcraw version (kde 3.5, Gilles
> > do we need to do that for kde 4 as well? - i can't by now).
> >
> > So the current important aims are
> > 1) changing libkipi API (for kde 3.5 as well?)
>
> IMO, no as it would require co-ordinating with all host applications to
> have them updated to support the new API. This is too big IMO and the
> fact that we are doing it to coincide with another breakage (KDE4)
> should mean less problems (hopefully!). Some apps may just say, no more
> updates for KDE3 after doing KDE4 port and in which case this would be
> even more problematic.
>
> So in short, I think the libkipi for KDE3 branch should remain the same
> and it should be update in the KDE4 trunk.
>
> That said I may not have all the needed info :)
I like the concept of collections and items, me, for instance, uses gwenview more
than digikam, even if digikam is my first camera gui application so the album concept
is not properly mine :)
Anyway i agree with you when you talk about abstraction and managing also multimedia
files, video for instance. Nowadays cameras have the availability to make video and
often with good resolution, so kipi-plugins could/should manage them. An example?
html export or cd/dvd archiv(e)ing so your concept is good for me.

Hope that lights the discussion ;)